Mills James has an immediate opportunity for an experienced live event Lighting Specialist to join our Experience Group (MJx).
The specialist collaborates closely with clients, producers, production managers, and the specialist supervisor to prepare relevant lighting designs and equipment for safe and prompt installation and operation at live events. Serves as L1, L2, or Team Lead onsite as needed, leading a crew of staff, freelancers, and vendors to implement the creative vision. Maintains and prepares lighting equipment in service of the above.
This position is based in Columbus, Ohio
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty and other duties that may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Attend pre-conference meetings with the Production Manager or Producer when asked
- Assist Scheduler in resolving conflicts with MJx lighting resources and coordinate rental needs with multiple vendors, as necessary
- Assist Warehouse Manager when needed to pull, scan, load/unload equipment, and check-in equipment for completeness
- Work closely with the Producer and the Production Manager as a Lighting Director, directing the lighting part of live events, including placement of lighting specials for key moments, cueing of lighting effects, directing follow spot operators, etc. In some instances where a Producer or Production Manager are not present, all Lighting Direction may be at your discretion.
- Work closely with the Video Director to obtain the best balance of stage lighting for the live audience and IMag/remote audience/recording
- Supervises Lighting and Rigging teams during installation of show equipment
- Provides paperwork to facilitate installation, patching, focus, programming, and operation of lighting equipment
- Manages inventories of expendables and replacement parts for lighting equipment. Works with purchasing department on these items
- Helps to evaluate freelancers as to their suitability to perform lighting-related functions
- Become proficient in Lighting software such as VectorWorks, Grand MA2, MA3D, and Pathway Pathport Manager
- Fulfills supervisory responsibilities by the organization’s policies and applicable laws
- Supervises and coordinates crews of 2 to 15 on various MJx projects
- Knowledgeable of ballroom and exhibit hall rigging practices and can serve as rigging supervisor or master electrician for large-scale events
Listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university; or four years of related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience; related experience must be in a corporate event setting
- Proficiency in the implementation of live lighting technologies and concepts, including lighting system and rigging design, conventional and moving light fixtures, dimming, gobo creation/selection, lighting color theory, analog and digital console programming, computer-aided design programs, and advanced troubleshooting and problem-solving
- Must learn and become adept at using Mills James Xytech Media Pulse facilities management software
- Valid driver’s license and medical card required; may require CDL; required to obtain US Passport if necessary; must be available for 60% travel and work flexible hours
All applicants will be required to consent to a background check before employment.
Benefits — Mills James offers a comprehensive benefits package for this full-time opportunity, including health, dental and vision care, 401(k), and Roth 401(k).
Mills James, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer — All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, ethnicity, national origin, marital status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected classification or status.
Your Right to Work — In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.