The Rigging and Lighting Lead will be responsible for performing rigging and lighting activities at the Huntington Convention Center of Cleveland and upholding safety and quality standards per all trade, Mills James/property guidelines, and SOPs. They will serve as the primary contact for rigging work. The Lead will provide CAD diagrams of the venue to prospective clients, assist current clients with rigging advances, perform hands-on lighting and rigging, and supervise rigging team members during events.
Below is a description of the position’s key responsibilities.
PRE-PRODUCTION AND PROJECT MANAGEMENT
- Create rigging and lighting plots for Mills James events
- Inspect rigging plots submitted by external production companies and identify any possible rigging obstacles or safety
- Perform load calculations and approve working load limits per venue loading capabilities on all shows and events
- Coordinate and schedule rigging labor and equipment for all events requiring rigging services.
- Specify and coordinate lighting equipment, setup labor, and power needs
- Attend major production planning meetings as necessary to ensure the safety and efficiency of the show
SAFETY AND EVENT EXECUTION
- Responsible for all rigging labor efforts and overhead safety during an event, which may include inspection of ground-supported structures and systems designed for aerial performance
- Oversee rigging and lighting for conventions, tradeshows, and exhibitions, including hanging banners, signage, and production equipment
- Visually inspect all hardware in use, including motors, personnel lifts, and power systems
- Remain on-site until all motors have been raised to trim, a final safety check has been performed, and the client acknowledges completion of rigging
- Ensure equipment, physical structure, and personnel are always “show-ready” through execution of motor/equipment maintenance, point and AWP inspections, and training
- Review compliance on all OSHA regulations and ANSI standards pertaining to AWP/MEWP operation, rigging and hoist systems, and power systems
- Acquire and maintain proper certifications, as necessary
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 3-5 years of experience in rigging and lighting in either the entertainment, theatrical, or production environment, including but not limited to working as both ground and overhead rigger
- Understanding of power and safety procedures in a live environment; must have a high degree of safety awareness
- ETCP Certification is preferred
- Lift operation experience; Lift Certification preferred
- Ground rigging experience
- An elevated level of communication skills, organization skills, and ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects is required
- Working knowledge of CAD (Auto Sketch, Vector Works, AutoCAD, LD Assistant, or other) software
- Ability to interact professionally and effectively with customers and leadership teams
- Willingness to learn basic audiovisual setup and operation
- Working Knowledge of Microsoft Office including Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Valid drivers’ license required, required to obtain U.S. Passport and medical card if necessary
- Able to pass all required employment screening, such as drug test and criminal background check
- Analytical Thinking
- Concern for Quality
- Surpass Customer Expectations
- Establishing Focus
- Production Awareness
Work is performed in a hotel or convention center with moderate exposure to outdoor temperatures, dirt, sand, and dust. The working conditions will vary between moderately quiet to noisy volumes. Team members will use high-end equipment and electrical components and will be exposed to heights via lifts and ladders for extended periods. Some travel is expected, as team members may be asked to work in multiple event locations. Working times will include irregular hours and on-call status, including days, evenings, weekends, and holidays. Team members must adhere to appearance guidelines defined by Mills James based on an individual hotel or a representation of hotels in that city or area.
All applicants will be required to consent to a background check before employment.
Benefits — Mills James offers a comprehensive benefits package for this full-time opportunity, including health, dental and vision care, 401(k), and Roth 401(k).
Mills James, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer — All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, ethnicity, national origin, marital status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected classification or status.
Your Right to Work — In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.