A Scenic Designer for the Mills James Experience Group (MJx) will work closely with a small group of subject matter experts and will report directly to our Chief Creative Officer. This individual must be capable of working in a team environment to collaborate on creative concepts. They would design small-scale scenic environments that help bring large-scale concepts to life and execute designs in a 3D space that will fit the show’s creative direction.
We are looking for a motivated and energetic individual who takes initiative, enjoys creating dynamic design, and takes extreme pride in their work. Please include compensation expectations in your application.
This full-time position is based in Columbus, Ohio.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty and other duties that may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Effectively partner with CCO, Creative Director, Event Producers, and Production Managers to execute design based on parameters set by the needs of the event
- Efficiently manage time on all assigned projects, putting in OT when needed, with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Must be creative and original with a strong sense of visual layout; please provide your design portfolio
- Extremely organized with success in juggling multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent communication skills (writing, phone, email)
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment and show flexibility when receiving client or team feedback
- Ability to stay calm and focused while incorporating changes at a moment’s notice
Listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Knowledge of creating scenic designs from a CAD diagram in Cinema 4D or 3Ds Max (3D Studio Max) or equivalent
- Experience creating high impact 2D and 3D design work, creating environments or layouts
- Skilled knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, or similar
- Experience in AutoCAD or VectorWorks or equivalent
- A knowledge base of entertainment scenery, scenic fabrication techniques, or theater productions should be highlighted
- Evening and weekend work may be necessary, depending on the show’s needs
- Design degree and sketching and illustration skills are a plus
All applicants will be required to consent to a background check before employment.
Benefits — Mills James offers a comprehensive benefits package for this full-time opportunity, including health, dental and vision care, 401(k), and Roth 401(k).
Mills James, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer — All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, ethnicity, national origin, marital status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected classification or status.
Your Right to Work — In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.