Mills James has an immediate opening for an experienced Senior Lighting Specialist to join our live event team, the Experience Group (MJx).
The Specialist collaborates closely with clients, producers, production managers, and the specialist supervisor to prepare relevant lighting and rigging designs and equipment for safe and prompt installation and operation at live events. Serves as L1, L2, R1, or Team Lead on-site as needed, leading a crew of staff, freelancers, and vendors to implement the creative vision. Maintains and prepares lighting and rigging equipment in service of the above.
This is a full-time position based in Columbus, Ohio.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty and other duties that may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Attend pre-conference meetings with the Production Manager or Producer when needed
- Assist the Resource Manager in resolving conflicts with MJx lighting and rigging resources and coordinate rental needs with multiple vendors, as necessary
- Assist Warehouse Manager when needed to pull, scan, load/unload equipment and check-in equipment for completeness
- Work closely with the Producer and the Production Manager as a Lighting Director for live events, including placement of lighting specials for key moments, cueing of lighting effects, directing follow spot operators, etc. (In instances where a Producer or Production Manager are not present, all lighting direction may be at your discretion.)
- Work closely with the Video Director to obtain the best balance of stage lighting for the live audience and IMag/remote audience/recording
- Supervises lighting and rigging teams during installation of show equipment
- Provides paperwork to facilitate installation, patching, focus, programming, and operation of lighting equipment
- Manages inventories of expendables and replacement parts for lighting equipment; works with purchasing department on these items
- Highly proficient in Lighting software such as VectorWorks, Grand MA2, MA3D, and Pathway Pathport Manager
- Knowledgeable of ballroom and exhibit hall rigging practices and can serve as rigging supervisor or head electrician for large-scale events
- Proficiency in studio lighting concepts for camera and streaming
- Fulfills supervisory responsibilities by the organization’s policies and applicable laws
- Supervises and coordinates crews of 2-20 on various MJx projects
- Helps to evaluate freelancers as to their suitability to perform lighting-related functions
- Manages lighting and rigging department’s internal project list and assigns specialists as needed
- Assists Technical Supervisor in scheduling specialists and key freelancers as needed
Listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university or a minimum of five years of related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience; related experience must be in a corporate event setting
- High proficiency in the implementation of live lighting technologies and concepts, including lighting system and rigging design, conventional and moving light fixtures, dimming, gobo creation/selection, lighting color theory, analog and digital console programming, computer-aided design programs, and advanced troubleshooting and problem-solving
- Must show high proficiency in weight and power calculations for live events as well as best practices for attaching motor/rigging points in a ballroom and exhibit hall
- Ability to troubleshoot and identify repair needs for moving lights, LED, and conventional fixtures, as well as dimming racks and power distros
- Must learn and become adept at using Mills James Xytech Media Pulse resource management software
- Valid driver’s license and medical card required; may require CDL; required to obtain US Passport if necessary; must be available for 60% travel and work flexible hours
All applicants will be required to consent to a background check before employment.
Benefits — Mills James offers a comprehensive benefits package for this full-time opportunity, including health, dental and vision care, 401(k), and Roth 401(k).
Mills James, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer — All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, ethnicity, national origin, marital status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected classification or status.
Your Right to Work — In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.